Home  l  About Us  l  Background  l  ZC1  ZA1  l   Restoration   l  Wanted  l  Links  l  Contact Us

 

Radio Corporation

 
 
 
 
General
Test rooms
Working at Radio Corp
Mica mining
 
Sale Radio Corp Factory
Site Plan Factory
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

Wellington City Archives  [00009:135:6/1116]

 
 

The factory and offices of Radio Corporation of New Zealand Ltd, were spread across a number of mainly small buildings built on six different adjacent property lots running between Courtenay Place and Wakefield Street.  The street address was given as 80 Courtenay Place but most of the maze of  factory buildings were accessed by a private lane, called "Courageous lane", which opened onto Wakefield St.

Before the war, Radio Corporation built domestic radios and a wide range of electrical goods.  During the war the factory was given orders for the manufacture of the ZC1 military radio.  The factory, equipped with heavy presses and other metal working machinery, produced a range of  military equipment for the war effort from Steel Helmets to  Sten Guns.

Some years after the war the Radio Corporation was sold to the English radio company PYE, which in turn was taken over a number of  years later by Phillips Industries.  The six properties making up the factory site were sold in 1960.

 
     
   
 

April 2009